Follow us on Google News - IGNOU SERVICE
MPSE-3 Solved Assignment English Medium 2023-24 for July 2023 and January 2024 Session
WESTERN POLITICAL THOUGHT
(FROM PLATO TO MARX)
Tutor Marked Assignment
Course Code: MPSE-003
Assignment Code: ASST/TMA/2023-24
Answer five questions in all, selecting at least two questions from each section. Each question is to be answered in about 500 words. Each question carries 20 marks.
1. Examine the nature and context of western political thought.
2. Discuss the philosophical foundations of Plato’s political theory.
3. Write a note on Aristotle’s theory of revolution.
4. What is the ‘Grand Synthesis’ St. Thomas Aquinas talked about? Elaborate.
5. Elaborate upon Machiavelli’s concept of Universal Egoism.
Write a short note on each part of the following questions in about 250 words.
6. a) Thomas Hobbes on the laws of nature and the Covenant
b) John Locke on social contract and civil society
7. a) Rousseau’s theory of General Will
b) Edmund Burke’s critique of the French Revolution
8. a) Immanuel Kant’s formulation of the ‘Categorical Imperative’
b) Bentham’s political philosophy
9. a) Tocqueville on democracy, revolution and the modern state
b) J. S. Mill on equal rights for women
10. a) Hegel on Idealism
b) Marx’s theory of Surplus Value
MSE3, MPSE 3