Follow us on Google News - IGNOU SERVICE
MEC-9 Solved Assignment English Medium 2023-24 for July 2023 and January 2024 Session
MEC-109: RESEARCH METHODS IN ECONOMICS
Tutor Marked Assignment (TMA)
Course Code: MEC-109
Assignment Code: MEC-109/AST/2023-24
Maximum Marks: 100
Note: Answer all the questions.
Answer the following questions in about 700 words each. Each question carries 20 marks.
1. ‘The inductive strategy begins with the collection of data from which generalization is made’- In the light of this statement formulate a research proposal indicating the various steps involved in research process.
2. Distinguish between Cluster sampling and Multi-stage sampling. In order to find out the incidence of Malnutrition among rural households in a given distinct, how would you collect the data by multi-stage sampling? Illustrate.
Answer the following questions in about 400 words each. The word limits do not apply in case of numerical questions. Each question carries 12 marks.
3. Suppose you want to study the behavior of sales of automobiles over a number of years and someone suggests you to try the following models:
yt= B0 + B1 t
yt= à0 + à1 t + à2 t2
Where yt = sales at time t and t = time. The first model postulates that sales is a linear function of time, whereas the second model states that it is a quadratic function of time.
(a) Discuss the properties of these two models.
(b) How would you decide which model is appropriate between these two models?
(c) In what situation will the Quadric Model be useful.
4. Try to obtain data on automobile sales from any company in India over the past 20 years and examine which of the two models (Linear and Quadric) fits the data better?
5. What is Canonical Correlation Analysis? State the similarity and difference between multiple regression and canonical correlation.
6. What is action research? What are the advantages of strategy of action research over conventional research? Illustrate.
7. Write a short note on the following:
i. Traditional Method and Structural Equation Modeling.
ii. Input-output table
iii. Data generation