Follow us on Google News - IGNOU SERVICE
Assignment for July 2023 and January 2024 Sessions
(Based on Blocks 1-4)
Maximum Marks 100
Answer All Questions
Q.I Write short notes on the following in about 200 words each:
(i) Image and symbol as figures of speech
(ii) Narrative Prose
(iii) Art and craft of diary writing
(iv) What is autobiography?
II Answer the following questions in about 350 words each:
- Justify the comment, “Be strong before people, only weep before God”, from the story ‘Mother’.
- What do you learn about the life of the English people in Burma from Orwell’s essay, ‘Shooting an Elephant’?
- What is the theme of the essay ‘On seeing England for the First Time’?
- Outline the portrait of Queen Victoria as seen in Strachey’s biography Queen Victoria.
III Answer the following questions in about 600 words each:
- What is the significance of the title ‘Misery’ in the story of the same name.
- Outline the horrors of the Holocaust and the persecution of the Jews as seen from Anne Frank’s diary.
- Laurence was committed to the cause of nuclear disarmament. Do you agree? Give reasons for your answer.
- Comment on the distinctive style of Nehru’s letter-writing as seen in ‘The Quest of Man’.
- How does Aitken make fun of Indian politicians? Base your answer on your reading of the excerpt from his travelogue.