Follow us on Google News - IGNOU SERVICE
BEGC-110 Solved Assignment 2023-24 for July 2023 and January 2024 Session
BRITISH LITERATURE : 19TH CENTURY
Assignment for July 2023 and January 2024 Sessions
(Based on Blocks 1-4)
Maximum Marks 100
Answer all questions.
Q.I Explain with reference to context the following lines:
(i) There she weaves by night and day
A magic web with colours gay.
She has heard a whisper say,
A curse is on her if she stay
To look down to Camelot
(ii) She had a heart—how shall I say?—too soon made glad,
Too easily impressed; she liked whate’er
She looked on, and her looks went everywhere.
(iii) The sea is calm tonight.
The tide is full, the moon lies fair
Upon the straits; on the French coast the light
Gleams and is gone; the cliffs of England stand,
Glimmering and vast, out in the tranquil bay.
(iv) Backwards up the mossy glen
Turn’d and troop’d the goblin men,
With their shrill repeated cry,
“Come buy, come buy.”
II Answer the following questions in about 300 words each:
- What role does Madame Defarge play in the novel A Tale of Two Cities?
- Attempt a character sketch of Susan Henchard from the novel A Mayor of Casterbridge.
- Critically analyse the passage from ‘The Lotos – Eaters’.
- Attempt a critical analysis of the poem ‘Pied Beauty’.
III Answer the following questions in about 600 words each:
- Write a detailed note on Henchard’s decline and downfall in the novel The Mayor of Casterbridge.
- Write a detailed note on the revolutionaries in A Tale of Two Cities.
- Attempt a critical summary of the poem ‘Prospice.’
- Discuss the surface as well as the deeper meaning of the poem ‘Goblin Market’.
BEGC110, BEGC 110