Follow us on Google News - IGNOU SERVICE
EUROPEAN CLASSICAL CULTURE
Assignment July 2023 & January 2024 Sessions
(Based on Blocks 1 – 4)
Max. Marks: 100
Answer all questions.
- Write short notes in about 100 words each: 2 × 5 = 10
(i) Greek Tragedy
(ii) Roman Comedy
- Reference to the Context in about 100 words each: 2 X 5 = 10
(i) “… These tribulations and unbearable expenses
Are just a few f the ills that come with dowries.
But she who brings no cash does bring obedience,
While rich girls kill their husbands with their mischief and extravagance.”
(ii) “…When my good father taught me to be good,
Scarecrows he took for living flesh and blood. Thus, if he warned me not to spend but spare
The moderate means I owe to his wise care,
‘Twas, “See the life that son of Albius leads!”
Answer the following in about 350 words each: 4 X 20 = 80
- Write a detailed note on the difference or similarities between the Homeric Epic and the Roman epic.
- Evaluate Oedipus Rex as a tragedy for all times.
- Examine Pot of Gold as a Roman comedy.
- Examine the themes of Horace’s satires, especially Satire 1:4.
BEGC102, BEGC 102 ENGLISH MEDIUM